This topic has been sparked by an observation made throughout the weekend at a family get-together. It was observed that men feel entitled to things simply because they are men, deeming themselves to have more economic power than women. This speaks to a large societal problem which has deep ties in patriarchy, most especially amongst African countries.
In this context, financial independence is the right to earn ones living; to control your life and claim your rights. When women earn for themselves, they are instantly more in control of their lives. Not only is financial independence a source of confidence, but it also gives women credibility to participate in societal matters and important decision making.
Although more and more women are pursuing their goals and following their ambition, there is still this notion that a woman can be successful but not too successful. Can you guess the justification for that? In order not to intimidate a man.
The depiction of women’s success’ in the corporate world is often misleading. Women are very often bumping into the glass ceiling. This is described as a barrier that is so subtle that it is transparent, yet so strong that it prevents women from moving up the corporate hierarchy.
So not only is there a glass ceilings amongst most sectors which prevents women from advancing higher in their level job, but women are also being told not to aim too high or they’ll risk intimidating men.
For too long this narrative has been spoon-fed to women with it blindly being accepted. As Millenials, we are blessed with blatant anti discrimination laws which allows us to chase whatever it is that we want to pursue. Essentially it is important we take advantage of this and become financially independent. We owe it to the women of the past era who were not as fortunate as we are, and didn’t have such opportunities.
1) Self-Confidence: Making and having your own income gives you the confidence to make your own decision and live life on your own terms.
2) Self-Reliance: Making and having your own money means that you do not have to depend on anyone for basic essentials.
3) To Avoid Disappointments: On solely the mans income, it would consequently be difficult to adjust or adapt to a situation if anything were to go wrong (e.g divorce, sudden death..)
4) To Stop Feeling Vulnerable: Many women stay in abusive relationships because they feel as though they have nowhere else to go if they leave. With financial independence, a woman is able to make better choices for herself
5) To Avoid Resentment: When one is continuously taking from someone without contributing, there would be points where resentment will to start to creep in.
6) To Avoid Being Someone’s Property: When a woman is completely dependant on a man, she subconsciously belongs to him. This can be avoided by gaining financial freedom.
Taking into account the cost of living that our generation has to put up with, it only makes sense that every working age member plays some part in making a living. With the increased popularity of freelance work and content creation.. there is really no excuse.
So what do we say in response to those who suggest that women shouldn’t strive for too much success? Being financially independent as a hard working lady will only compliment the effort of a hard working man.